It’s been embarrassingly too long since I last posted. I could run through my long list of excuses about why I fell off the blogging bandwagon, but suffice to say it was not my priority while the rest of my life was. I’ve been having too good of a time being a mother, a wife, an employee, and setting up our new house, among other things, to take the time to post here. That’s not to say that I have not been crafting. It’s slow going these days and I pick projects that I find relaxing.
I’ve recently gotten into quilting and sewing and have spent some time at the sewing machine reminding myself about how to use it. Actually, I completed one of my favorite sewing projects just in time for Halloween festivities.
Our little girl is totally into dress up and playing princess these days and insisted on being “a green fairy” for Halloween. I searched around Pinterest (have you heard about Pinterest? If not, that’s information for another post) for a little bit until I found this pin (which looks incredibly close to the pattern that I ended up buying and using – there was no way that, with my beginner garment sewing skills, I could have patterned this by myself). This is probably the most appreciated project I have ever made – she does not want to take it off! It will definitely be a well loved item in her dress up bin now and I’m happy I made it one size larger than what she currently wears so she’ll get the most use out of it!
Pattern: Simplicity Disney Fairy Pattern
Fabric: costume satin in green and yellow purchased at Joann’s.
The pattern includes instructions on how to make the wings, but I decided to save myself some time and purchase them from Joann’s instead. And seeing the amount of abuse they took through her multiple Halloween parties I’m happy I bought them on the cheap. I did not use tulle for the under skirt and instead made it out of yellow satin. We could put one of her tutus under it if she wanted the skirt to have extra pouf, but I think it is overall more comfortable for her to wear without the tulle next to her skin. I also made a long yellow satin ribbon as a belt instead of the belt from the pattern. I just made a long tube, closed the ends, and then basted it to the side of the dress so it would not fall down and would cover the waist seam. I did not make bloomers since she wore white leggings (it’s cold out there!). And the satin was incredibly washable, which was great because she managed to get it dirty at each and every party.
I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween! We went through a pretty bad snow storm (we live in the northeast) and lost a couple of trees in our yard, so trick-or-treating was postponed until Friday. Instead, we enjoyed a quiet dinner lit by the candlelight of our jack-0-lantern (only one since we ran out of energy after cleaning up from the storm) and then played with the glow sticks in a dark room after dinner. That was actually really fun, so much so that our daughter asked to have the jack-0-lantern in her bedroom as she fell asleep (it was lit by a battery operated “candle”)!
I know that many of you continue to craft on a regular basis – I’m definitely inspired by much of what I see out there in the blogosphere. Hopefully I can find a few moments, energy, and a few spare brain cells to document my projects on a more regular basis.