Last winter, I tore a hole in the first pair of mittens (and the second item) that I ever knit. I loved those mittens, despite their being made out of inexpensive acrylic yarn. They fit like a glove, I mean, mitten, literally molded perfectly to my hands. Yes, they could likely be mended, but what’s the fun in that? So, as the air turned crisp and the sun began to set earlier I was reminded that I needed to make myself a new pair to keep my hands toasty in the quickly approaching winter.
I dug around in my stash and found two skeins of Manos del Uruguay wool. I love the combination of the colors – a wonderful mixture of deep blues, purples, turqouise, and pink. I decided to knit the same pattern as my first pair of beloved mittens, despite the pattern being a beginner pattern knit on two needles. I didn’t feel like taking a chance on fit when my previous beloved mittens fit so perfectly.
Yarn: 1 skein of Manos del Uruguay wool, colorway Mar.
Size: Adult Small
Like my first pair, these fit perfectly. The only problem with knitting on two needles is that there is a seam that requires attention, something that I put off for days on end until I finally just took care of closing them up. I definitely prefer knitting in the round. And I think that the next pair of mittens that I knit could be more adventurous in pattern, perhaps using multiple colors. But this pattern is perfect for a quickly completed project (about a week, despite not sewing them up for a few days). Since I had one skein remaining, I decided to design my own neckwarmer. More on that when I have the finished object to share.
After finishing my mittens, I decided that my hands may not be the only ones that would be at risk of getting cold this winter. I decided to design mittens for our baby to match the Pea Pod Baby Set that I had knit during the Ravelympics.
Pattern: My own (my Ravelry page)
Yarn: Approximately one-quarter of a skein of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Size: Approximately 0-3 months
I looked at a few baby mitten patterns to get a general idea of their size and when to decrease, and then casted on the number of stitches needed to make the pattern around the cuff. On the first row of stockingknit stitch I placed a few yarn-overs to allow for the crocheted string to be threaded through and tied. These were a quick knit – I designed and completed the pair during one Patriots football game. Overall, I’m really happy about the finished product and cannot wait to test them out once our baby arrives.